This simple dish came to life recently while sharing food with friends over the weekend. I’ve had the pleasure of picking up fresh produce from a local farm market for many weeks now and this time I found this wonderfully colored cauliflower. It was orange, unlike any I’ve ever seen and kept it’s color nicely when steamed. I tried to pick other vegetables that would compliment the cauliflower nicely, while also adding color to the dish. I do love the colors found in fresh, natural foods! In order to maintain the flavor of the cauliflower I separately sauteed the kale, using stronger spices, and then combined everything, the flavors from the kale then adding nicely to the dish as a whole. Of course I like just about anything topped with hemp seeds for extra protein and texture, and they are very mild in flavor. This dish came about the same evening I made Curried Spaghetti Squash and the two dishes complimented each other nicely when eaten or even mixed together.
- vegan butter
- saute kale (with cayenne, garlic and spices)
- salt and pepper
- garlic power/fresh
- hemp seeds (opt)
- Steam cauliflower, carrots, onions, celery together until tender but not over-cooked. You should be able to tell desired tenderness by the feel of poking veges with a fork. Season lightly with vegan butter, garlic powder and salt.
- Saute fresh garlic, kale, cayenne, coriander and cumin with coconut oil or grape seed oil and any other seasonings you may be called to use. Kale cooks quickly, be sure not to over cook it.
- Combine together all ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cauliflower Tacos (lacknogoodthing.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Cauliflower Steaks with Ginger, Turmeric, and Cumin – Recipes from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- Eating to the Season! (healthynourishedbody.wordpress.com)
- More on Hemp Seeds (viibrante.wordpress.com)
3 thoughts on “Cauliflower Medley”
Looks like something I would get in a Krishna temple! Yummy!!!
this looks really delicious and healthy!
Thank you so much!