- Chick peas (I used frozen)
- Turmeric root (fresh and powder)
- Mustard seeds
- Coconut oil
- Curry power (I used a pre-made mix of curried spices from bulk at MOM’s)
- Thaw chickpeas with just a little bit of water over low to medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally.
- Warm a generous amount of coconut oil, and add mustard seeds and fresh grated turmeric root.
- When mustard seeds begin to pop slightly, begin to saute onions with seasonings: Turmeric powder, Curry powder (either pre-made or your own creative blend), adding fresh garlic only towards the end so as to not over cook and loose the flavor.
- Combine chickpeas, seasoned onions and enjoy on their own or as a side!
(I like to generously season the onions, using basically the amount of seasoning I will like to have present in the entire dish. Seasoning the dish in this way can help prevent over stirring veggies at the end and getting a mushy consistency as a result.)
This tasty dish pair’s well with tomatoes and greens.